Doing Business In Thailand: A Country Commercial Guide for U.S. Companies 
Due to the high price of crude oil that affects Thailandís economic growth and GDP, the country is aggressively-looking for alternative energy solutions and low-cost energy production from in-country facilities and the region to secure adequate supplies to meet the demand of the future. Alternative energy, such as ethanol and biodiesel, is addressed significantly in the governmentís energy policy to ensure that the supply will be enough by 2011. The government plans to use five million rai of land to produce 8.5 million liters of biodiesel by 2011, while the demand for ethanol will reach 3.0 million liters per day as well. The government is preparing to build 3 biodiesel plants with a capacity of 100,000 liters per day for each plant. The total investment is expected to be around $75 million in the next 2 years.
The government has also supported other renewable energy sources such as biomass, biogas and solar energy. The program encourages potential industries/factories to convert waste to energy as much as possible. The country plans to maintain minimum sources of renewable energy at the level of 5-7% of the total countryís energy production.
To achieve the set targets of the 3rd phase of the energy conservation framework, the government plans to invest $402 million by 2011, with approximately $32-41 million spent per year. This investment will be provided by the national Energy Conservation fund (ECON), generated by energy taxes and duties of at least $48-68 million per year.
See Renewable Energy Equipment (REQ), page 37+
- Biogas projects in tapioca and sugar mills
- Waste-to-energy projects in municipalities
- Solar energy production for community electricity services
- Ethanol production plants for sugar mills and tapioca plants
- Small to medium scale biodiesel production projects for palm oil and used cooking oils
- Energy saving compressors, chillers, motors, and lighting replacement
- Cold storage energy conservation and reduction
- Alternative energy resource development